Conditional compilation to avoid "assignment to free variable"

From: Michael Hoffman
Subject: Conditional compilation to avoid "assignment to free variable"
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:46:26 -0700

I use the same .emacs file on multiple systems, and each have various packages installed. There are various forms in my .emacs to only interact with these packages if they are actually installed:

(when (locate-library "auctex")
  (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
  (setq TeX-auto-save t))

When I byte-compile, however, I get a warning like this:

emacs.el:320:9:Warning: assignment to free variable `TeX-auto-save'

Is there a way to skip over that form at compile time if the library cannot be found? I tried various permutations of using eval-when-compile, but I still get the warning.

I suppose the other solution is to wrap the setq in a boundp check, but this seems silly as the result of the boundp check will be the same as the result of locate-library.

In this case, I may be able to use a custom variable instead but I am looking for a more general solution.