Re: Copy Paste in no-x11 mode (emacs -nw)

From: Jonathan Groll
Subject: Re: Copy Paste in no-x11 mode (emacs -nw)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:00:13 +0200

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 03:26:19PM +0300, Simeon Nifos wrote:
(snip)
I highlight text with the mouse and then press the middle mouse button
in vim where I want to paste it and it does it without destroying the
format. I had to do some searching for corresponding configuration
of the VIM .vimrc, and also use VIM compiled with clipboard enabled.

Not sure what you mean by destroying format, but I can paste into
emacs -nw with no problems by using a middle-click (kubuntu 8.04,
still KDE 3.5, also in emacs -nw under an OS X terminal.app shell).

(snip)
Moreover, could you please tell us how to move the border up or down,
left or right separating the 2 windows the original window is splitted
to when one presses C-x 2, or C-x 3?

In regular emacs, assuming you have done C-x 2, and the scrollbar is
on the left hand side; hover the mouse over the scrollbar area at the
junction between the two windows and you will see the icon change to
the resize icon.

(snip)
Thank you for the long reply, but neither of those C-p or C-a works for me.

It needs to be configured for C-p, otherwise C-a will be the default
gnu-screen escape sequence. For instance, if you are in a screen
session, pressing C-a c will create a new screen window. I recommend
you set it to another escape sequence as emacs users tend to need C-a.

(snip)
I would like to do the Shift-Insert thing with the mouse. The usual way,
highlight text and press middle mouse button for the paste. Any ideas?

Not sure what the problem is for you here - middle click should work,
even in emacs -nw running in your xterms/eterms. Can you try it in
an alternative window manager perhaps?

Another thing that I do find useful is a clipboard manager if you do
end up doing a lot of middle-click pastes; parcellite should run under
enlightenment. But heck, that may be a little too newfangled for most
of us emacs folk.

Cheers,
Jonathan