Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Xah
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:43:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 27, 11:12 am, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> Your attempts at polishing your prose have not yet yielded any
> improvement that I can see.

my posts here are not polished. On average, they are written at the
rate perhaps 50 wpm. There are too many to reply to.

Most articles that went to my website are polished versions. e.g.

The Modernization of Emacs
http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization.html

Suggestions on Emacs's Scratch Buffer
http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_scratch_buffer.html

http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_meta_key.html

much content in these articles are orginially newsgroup posts.

> Remember that RMS wasn't and maybe still isn't a touch typist.

I don't know about that. I knew at one period of time he had serious
RSI that he resorted to or was using voice input systems. (this would
be somewhere in early to mid 1990s, or possibly earlier)

In fact, many emacs celebrity has serious RSI.

Richard Stallman, Jamie Zawinski (xemacs, netscape fame), Ben Wing
(quite ex-xemacs leader).

Richard's got pages talking about it i read somewhere i think in late
1990s, not sure if they are still around. Jamie has written a fairly
popular page about RSI on his website. Info on Ben is hard to find,
but you can see Jamie mentions the fact. I think he is the most
serious case to some permanent degree he no longer program in any
professional capacity.

of course, in this thread Lennart (author of emacsW32) mentioned about
Alex (starter of emacswiki.org)'s RSI ...

if fact, there are lots webpages talking about emacs induced RSI.

all these should really be blamed on emacs keybinding, being the most
shit design possible.

See:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_kb_shortcuts_pain.html

> Most of these don't matter with the exception of c, h, t, n, for cursor
> movement in the dvorak layout. I am not nearly as cavalier as you are
> about abandoning the mnemonic connotations of the keybindings as they
> have evolved under wise and prudent aegis of the developers.

Thinking that emacs ways or emacs keybinding must have designed by
some wise group of people for some good reasons, is a misconception.

The origin of emacs basic keybindings, can be seen from Daniel
Weinreb, who reasonably claims that “nobody has been using Emacs
blonger than i have”. For detail and source, see my article above.

at this point, i got tired and too lazy to read further of your post.
Maybe i'll pickup later. Thanks for the effort though.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/