Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 19:11:14 +0200

stan <smoore@exis.net> writes:

> Xah wrote:

>>> We'll have to disagree: I think that is both easy and intuitive.
>>
>> What seems to you intuitive is not intuitive to the general text
>> editing audience. The text editing audience is broad, including all IT
>> professionals, those in academics.
>
> You don't have authority to speak for the general text editing audience.
> You certainly never got my permission.

Well, thats not really fair. Emacs is certainly not intuitive to the
general text editing audience since its pretty much a minority editor. I
dont know anyone who didnt have trouble adapting to Emacs personally
(including myself) - but its only after a while you realise the genius
behind a lot of the UI. Things you do not see or appreciate when you
first tackle it.

Can the general text editing population adapt and use it? Of course. But
initial feedback is usually "what the hell!" :-)

I mean, have you seen peoples faces when they read the manual and realise
they have to control/meta key sequences to move the cursor left and
right, up and down?

Please dont take these comments as support for what Xah is saying but
there does tend to be a certain reluctance to make "common things" the
standard in emacs which might, just might, promote adoption.

Things are getting better - e.g I think using the x clipboard finally
became the default in 22. Stuff like that.