Re: LaTeX-editing TEXTAREAs using w3m?

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: LaTeX-editing TEXTAREAs using w3m?
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:37:41 +0200

>> > This is probably no help, but isn't there a way to open an
>> > editor (e.g. the value of $EDITOR) from a Web browser for such
>> > a text area? If there is, then you should be able to use
>> > emacsclient (or gnuclient) to do that editing with Emacs.
>> >
>> > That's one of the things emacsclient is for: to let you
>> > open Emacs from some other app. Dunno if Web browsers let you
>> > do that easily, though.
>>
>> Firefox does.
>> Look into using : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4125
>
> Yes, thanks for the link; works fine. Makes Firefox pop up an Emacs window
> (via
> emacsclient) whenever you use an HTML text area. Just use `C-x #' to send the
> edited text back to the browser.

Linux users (X) might be interested in this little script which I call
from the extension above:

,----
| wmctrl -a emacs
| source ~/bin/emacs.bash
| edit $1
`----

wmctrl brings emacs to the foreground and the emacs.bash is a copy of
the bash script which defines edit() to use emacs client or start emacs
as appropriate. Edit as appropriate.

Caveat : When using with gmail for example set gmail up to use "basic
html" or it wont work.