Changing pointer shape in Windows

From: Rick Mohr
Subject: Changing pointer shape in Windows
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:11:03 -0400

Emacs 21 used the "arrow" pointer everywhere, but Emacs 22 uses the "I-beam"
pointer over text. How can I get Emacs 22 to use the "arrow" pointer over text?

This doesn't seem to work:

(setq x-pointer-shape 132) ; top_left_arrow
(set-mouse-color "white")

I want to use the arrow pointer because (1) I'm used to it, and (2) the I-beam
pointer behaves differently than in other windows applications. In Emacs,
clicking on any part of a character places the cursor before that character. In
other windows applications, clicking on the left half of a character places the
cursor before that character but clicking on the right half of a character
places the cursor after that character.

Any help appreciated. Thanks,

-Rick