emacs terminal colors

From: egor . shalashnikov
Subject: emacs terminal colors
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 06:22:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!,
I have a problem with emacs colors in terminal, spent all day on it.
I'm connecting to a remote shell 1 (rhel):
'ssh <rhel>'
And connecting from my computer to a remote shell 2 (solaris)
'ssh <sol>'

The settings are nearly the same, but emacs on <rhel> displays many
colors by default, and on <sol> by default are only 2 colors.
How do enable --color=auto emacs switch by using only evn settings?
(If I use emacs --color on <sol> emacs starts with many colors).

Note: It's not a problem always use --color for emacs, but:
I play with parameters in some functions into .emacs, so --color is
the additional parameter and it breaks up logic into function when I
use emacs as a diff utility (emacs -diff file1 file2: works, but emacs
--color -diff file1 file 2: doesn't)

env:
TERM=xterm
COLORTERM=gnome-terminal (mc works fine with color after I've added
this env setting)

.emacs:
(global-font-lock-mode 1)