Re: emacs as a C++ IDE

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: emacs as a C++ IDE
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 20:48:50 +0200

alessandro.bernardini.1979@gmail.com writes:

> I want to use Emacs for C++ programming with SuSE LINUX and Windows
> Vista.
>
> I have readed the Emacs manual and searched the web, but i still have
> those questione:
>
> - how can i have interactive help in emacs writing C++ code ? If i
> write a C++ keyword, I would like to  get help and informations and
> examples about it, only typing a command.

I'll throw in some keywords which might help you get started.

Google up devhelp. More gnome (and therefore C in a lot of cases).  You
can also bind a key to "manual-entry" for word at point assuming you
have the required manual pages. Also consider eldoc for context
sensitive help if the required functions can be written for the language
you are interested in.

Use cscope and also consider etags. I then have:
,----
| (require 'etags-select)
| (global-set-key "\M-." 'etags-select-find-tag-at-point)
| (global-set-key "\M-#" 'pop-tag-mark)
`----

Good for C/C++ and elisp and php and ... I think.

Also there is a commercial offering :

http://www.xref.sk/xrefactory/main.html

The standard c++browser for emacs is, I believe, ebrowse but I have no
idea as to its status or abilities.

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/ebrowse.html

Lastly look at Cedet. I never really got autocompletion working properly
before I changed to another project but it looks promising.

> - how can i browse classes in emacs ? Is cscope the best tool ? I
> woluld like to have informations about any classes or functions in my
> code, and to browse it easily. I need informations not only about the
> classes in my file, but in all header files too and so on recursively,
> INCLUDING the standard library. Is this possible ?
>
> - what about ecb ? What other tools i need ?

I'm not sure, personally, about ecb. It is configurable but the default
layout takes a lot of real estate for little practical gain in my
opinion.

I would love to see a collection of what others have achieved with emacs
as a C/C++ IDE.

Lastly, if you dont get what you want look up using eclipse - it's IDE
features for things like refactoring, context help are much superior to
Emacs at this stage IMO. The disadvantages are ... its not emacs.

--
Don't get smart alecksy
With the galaxy