Problems with the capitalization in Word Abbreviation Mode

From: Hans-Christian Mick
Subject: Problems with the capitalization in Word Abbreviation Mode
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 01:12:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I'm writing a paper in German and trying to automaticalliy fix some of
my usual typos by using the Word Abbreviation mode (and I have to
admit that I'm rather new to Emacs...).

I'm having a problem with the capitalization in those abbreviations.

A typo that happens to me rather often is that for example I'm typing
"DAs" instead of "Das" at the beginning of a sentence.
I have tried to define a global abbreviation for that, but now I'm
getting every "das" in the middle of a sentence turned into "Das",
which is not what I wanted of course.

Looking into my abbrev.defs-file, I did not find the abbreviation
"DAs" that I originally had defined, but only a lowercase "das" and I
couldn't change it even by modifying the file directly (I wrote "DAs"
into the file, but then it didn't work anymore at all).

Seems as if I'm always getting a lowercase abbreviation, no matter how
I'm defining my abbreviations.

Could anyone please give me any hint on how to change this behaviour?

Thanks a lot in advance!