Re: delete whole word (ssh)

From: Xah
Subject: Re: delete whole word (ssh)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 08:42:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 7, 8:18 am, Rafal Kurcz <pawlac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 7 Pa¼, 04:10,Xah<xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 6, 7:14 am, Rafal Kurcz <pawlac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hello
>
> > > The backspace didn't work in emacs on ssh session.
> > > I put the following into my config file to use the backspace to delete
> > > the character at the left side of a cursor:
>
> > > (keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?)
> > > or
> > > (global-set-key "\C-h" 'backward-delete-char)
>
> > > Unfortunately ctrl-backspace does not delete whole words but only one
> > > character.
> > > How can I force emacs to delete whole words on ssh session.
>
> > (1) are you using emacs in X-Windows, then running ssh within M-x
> > term?
>
> > (2) Or, are you using a terminal app in X-windws, ssh to remote
> > server, then launching emacs in the remote server?
>
> > The answer depends. For (2), it's likely your term app has a
> > preference setting to that tells it what signal to send for the the
> > backspace key.
>
> > For (1) it's a bit complex... perhaps you can just try this:
>
> >  (global-set-key (kbd "C-<backspace>") 'backward-kill-word)
>
> I am using the (2) option it is using ssh to connect to a remote
> server and then launch emacs on it.
> Could you give me more indications of how to solve this problem.

I haven't been using X term on Linux/Unixes for few years... but my
experiences on over a decade use of many terminal emulators on the Mac
and Windows is that the app itself will have a preference setting
where you can set what char code the Backspace key sends. What exactly
the option is depends on the term app and often the option is not
intuitive... that may go by several names or as config file...

For example, on OS X 10.4.x's Terminal app, go to “Terminal‣Window
Settings...” then the Keyboard tab, there's “Delete key sends
backspace” checkbox. (Note: on Apple keyboard, the Delete key is the
name for the Backspace key on the PC keybords... to compliate the
issue, there's also the Delete key (aka Del) in the group of Home/End
block.)

I think you will need to give exactly which terminal emulation app and
the exact OS for people to be more helpful.

Also, as far as my experience goes this issue is rather complex...
because even without connecting to remote server, but just using a
terminal emulation such as unix shell, the backspace behavior also
depends on your termcap settings (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termcap
)...

Does (global-set-key (kbd "C-<backspace>") 'backward-kill-word) work?

so, i'd say give exact info on the OS, term app u are using... maybe
people familiar with your setting can give more help.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/