Re: Going to line n, column m

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Going to line n, column m
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 22:00:50 +0200

Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> writes:

> pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:
>
>>> But even if he did, move-to-column is capable of doing so.  There's no
>>> need for an elaborate (and error-prone) re-implementation.
>>
>> By now, it should be clear that it IS NOT, RIGHT NOW capable of doing
>> so, but WILL BE able to do it, when emacs 23.0 will be released.
>
> What are you talking about?  I'm using Emacs 22 and it works "right
> now".  Why would you even assume I'm talking about Emacs 23?

emacs-version "22.2.1"
             ^ C-u C-x C-e
(progn (move-to-column 79)(insert "x"))x
                                       ^ C-x C-e
It just doesn't work here.
Perhaps it depends on the major-mode, but I've never seen it work as
you say.

PLEASE NOTE: Some quantum physics theories suggest that when the
consumer is not directly observing this product, it may cease to
exist or will exist only in a vague and undetermined state.