Re: Keys in console

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Keys in console
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 08:37:38 +0200

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> My problem may be unrelevant on this list but this is a problem I
> only have in emacs.
>
> So, I am trying to use S-f10 C-f10 and friends in GNU Emacs (CVS)
> in the linux console.
>
> I have set some global-set-key and emacs does not complain.
> Problem is that if I am trying to press S F10, it is interpreted
> as being F20. I am not an expert of the linux console key setup
> thus, I just want to know if the problem is known or if it is a
> bug?

It's because there's no control code sequences to encode such a
key choard.

You should bind some other key sequence to reach these commands.

For example, in X, we can type C-1 C-0 x to insert ten xs.  But
there's no control code corresponding to digit keys.  So in a
terminal, we have to type C-u 1 0 x to insert ten xs (it works in X
too).

> Also, it seems I can't type symbols such as  "copyright" in the
> console (in emacs), is it linked to the problem mentionned above?

Yes.

You can get the copyright character, which is in the iso-8859-1
character set, by typing C-x 8 C

See: iso-transl.el
C-h f iso-transl-define-keys RET

COMPONENT EQUIVALENCY NOTICE: The subatomic particles (electrons,
protons, etc.) comprising this product are exactly the same in every
measurable respect as those used in the products of other
manufacturers, and no claim to the contrary may legitimately be
expressed or implied.