Re: elisp-index-search on current word

From: Xah
Subject: Re: elisp-index-search on current word
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:00:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 8, 7:49 pm, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Xah wrote:
> >> (defun elisp-index-search+ ()
> >>   "Look up TOPIC in the indices of the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual."
> >>   (interactive)
> >>   (let (topic)
> >>     (setq topic (read-string (concat "Subject to look up: ") nil nil
> >> (symbol-name (symbol-at-point))))
> >>     (funcall 'switch-to-buffer-other-window nil)
> >>     (info "elisp")
> >>     (Info-index topic)))
>
> > Thierry wrote:
> > ,----
> > | (defun tv-get-index-at-point ()
> > |   (interactive)
> > |   (let ((expr (thing-at-point 'sexp)))
> > |     (elisp-index-search expr)))
> > `----
>
> > among the 3 suggestions, it seems only Thierry's version works for me.
>
> What happens when you call my version or Andy's version?

it didn't prompt the symbol under cursor. I tried up arrow but i
didn't try down arrow; should've.

I filed a bug report on this issue. I think it should prompt the
symbol under cursor like most other lookup commands such as describe-
function, where the current symbol is shown inside the prompt text.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/