Re: Size of emacs window can't exceed 59 in height

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Size of emacs window can't exceed 59 in height
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:34:58 +1100

> Am 09.10.2008 um 01:20 schrieb Chetan:
>
>> I do not set anything in the default-frame-alist except for the font.
>> The alist is initialized the way it is because of other functions I
>> call. The width and height are the values coming from the command
>> line.
>
> The latter sounds very reasonable: why use some special code to give GNU
> Emacs the desired frame size and position when there are the *-
> frame-alists?
>

>> I checked the NEWS file after I found this, but it seems to say that
>> the position values are used for the initial frame.
>
> If there are *no* particular initial-frame-alist settings, then the
> default-frame-alist settings (also) apply for the first or initial  frame.
>

>> At first I thought it was a bug, but since it works from shell, there
>> is something else at play.
>
> Launching GNU Emacs with -Q (i.e. not loading system and user init files)
> allows you to examine the problem – and find and describe a  possible
> bug. But beware: in windowing systems' environments there  can be settings
> in (X11) resource or (MS) registry files that impose  on their clients some
> behaviour (position, size) when nothing else is  given ...

this is particularly true of certain window managers under X. For
example, I have heard of others with problems regarding setting of
colours, position and size with KDE. This was some time ago and KDE has
gone under considerable changes, but I'd certainly be looking under KDE
settings if you are finding that Xresources and/or command line geometry
settings don't appear to be working as expected and you are using KDE as
your wm. Same goes for some key bindings - people often struggle trying
to work out why emacs key bindings are not working only to find that the
key event is being stolen by the window manager.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au