Re: Line Folding in Emacs

From: harven
Subject: Re: Line Folding in Emacs
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:04:14 +0200

"Lorenzo Isella" <lorenzo.isella@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear All,
> I have looked here and there but not found exactly what I was after.
> Say you are reading some code and then want to open a new vertical
> windows with C-x 3.
> How can you have emacs fold the lines in such a way that you still can
> read you code entirely in the new window, without scrolling
> horizontally?
> Cheers
>
> Lorenzo

>From the manual:

"   When a window is less than the full width, text lines too long to
fit are frequent.  Continuing all those lines might be confusing, so if
the variable `truncate-partial-width-windows' is non-`nil', that forces
truncation in all windows less than the full width of the screen,
independent of the buffer being displayed and its value for
`truncate-lines'.  *Note Line Truncation::. "

So try to put the following in your .emacs:

(setq truncate-partial-width-windows nil)

You can also have a look at the variable  truncate-lines
if you want to set this on a per-buffer basis.