Re: updating /usr/bin/emacs

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: updating /usr/bin/emacs
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 03:04:30 +0200

Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 17, 11:58 am, Brian Brooks <brian.bro...@colorado.edu> wrote:

>> I would just like to update /usr/bin/emacs to whatever the latest
>> version of emacs is and still be able to run it within Terminal.app

> it is generally not recommended to diddle anything in the default OS X
> dirs such as /usr/bin. e.g. if you want to update your perl, python,
> you'd better off install it elsewhere, e.g. fink does in /sw/ and
> MacPorts in /opt/.

If you don't want the GUI (which I can highly recommend, though), using
those package managers is the easiest and cleanest way.

Since they don't install in /usr/bin, so you'll need to put (in the case
of MacPorts) /opt/local/bin in front of your $PATH once, and then
installing Emacs is down to just:

sudo port install emacs

Very easy.  Unfortunately, 22.3 hasn't trickled down to MacPorts, yet.
When it does you can upgrade like this:

sudo port sync
sudo port upgrade outdated

regards,