Programmatically creating functions

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Programmatically creating functions
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:26:58 -0700

So, I have a list of symbols:

'(foo bar baz)

I want to iterate over the list and create a function from each which does something like this:

(defun call-foo ()
  (interactive)
  (invoke-stuff 'foo)

How can I accomplish this? I can't figure out how to create the function. I've tried a number of approaches, but have not met with success.

- eval'ing the defun. Returns a function symbol, but I can't call it. Maybe it's only created within the scope of the (eval) and not callable from outside?

- Creating a symbol and using fset to assign a lambda to it's function cell. It sort of works, but I'm unclear on how to pass a variable function name to defun, nor am I clear on how I can make sure it calls invoke-stuff with the right symbol.

Help?

 - Ian