Re: Loading large/multiple tags files

From: Xah
Subject: Re: Loading large/multiple tags files
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:28:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 20, 11:45 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From:Xah<xah...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:10:47 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > does many people use this tags?
>
> How else do you jump to a definition of a function, macro, typedef,
> class, etc., with a single command?
>
> I really don't understand how can a fairly large project be developed
> without TAGS.
>
> (Another necessary component of any reasonable Emacs-based IDE is
> ID-Utils and its Emacs interface "M-x gid".)

I've always just used grep when i developed on large projects.
(from 1998-2002, with project code base of few hundred or thousand
files. Perl as app server, with most code. Others are sh, java, many
config files etc.
There were about 6 developers.
The lead developer is a emacs user, but he only use it for text
editing. e.g. he launches emacs by “emacs filename” then quit emacs
when done. He doesn't know or have much interest about info, dired,
shell in emacs, etc any other emacs features.
The other developers are mostly vi users mostly because that's what
they learned in school in India, and programing is just their day job.
They who wouldn't know and have no interest in what's a algorithm or
Turing machine or lisp or computer languages if you press them.
(seems sad, but that's how most professional IT workers are like.
See: The Condition of Industrial Programers
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/it_programers.html
)
)

i'm pretty sure grep is inefficient... thanks for the pointers, i'll
look into tags next time.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/