Re: Emacs as C IDE

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Emacs as C IDE
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:54:51 +0200

"Lorenzo Isella" <lorenzo.isella@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear All,
> I am working on a fairly large (for my standards) C project. I have to
> browse different .c and .h files and sometimes I feel lost. It would
> be wonderful, when looking at a single file, being able to "visualize"
> (maybe in a different window) its skeleton: structures, functions
> etc... or to collapse them in the view of the original file.
> I have not found what I am looking for, but I cannot believe that
> nobody has ever taken steps in this direction.
> I should add I am using cc-mode right now,
> Many thanks
>
> Lorenzo

As well as tags and cscope you should look at xref. Far and away better
than anything else out there I think for code navigation with emacs.

http://www.xref.sk/xrefactory/main.html

The C version is free now.

In addition there is ecb and semantic - it can get confusing as to what
is what as there are so many options! Unfortunately I think you might be
a little disappointed as the features do not compare to things like
Visual Studio and Eclipse in my opinion.

--
I am sorry to say that there is too much point to the wisecrack that life is
extinct on other planets because their scientists were more advanced than ours.