Re: Which git front-end in emacs is better?

From: Joost Diepenmaat
Subject: Re: Which git front-end in emacs is better?
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:18:36 +0200

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Lave <lave.wang.w@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have no experience of using VC, I just want a interface for git.
>>
>> Git.el saids allow user to use full functionality of Git. But I found
>> Magit having more. I'll try Magit first.
>>
>> Thanks you all.
>
> A little OT, but ...
>
> I would be interested in which tutorials people used to learn how best
> to use GIT. I've found plenty of examples of how it works, but none of
> how to work *with* it. e.g A programmer has 3 main directory hierarchies
> he wishes to control. Do all 3 go in one repository?

All the advice I've heard so far indicates that you should use different
repos for different projects (or sub-projects, if it's a large
project). This makes it easier to clone out just what you want, and can
make some operations quicker. Also, it just makes sense :-)

> Where does that repository reside? Local? Remote? Does one need to
> check in /out etc - I'm sure its out there but its hard to find
> beneath all the explanations tend to concentrate on that which the
> user doesn't generally care about such as how git stores "blobs" and
> how it hashes file names etc.

If you're the only person working on a project, you don't need to have
the repo remotely accessible. Note that *everybody* gets a *complete*
repository - so a remote/centralized repo is mostly useful if you want
to people be able to clone "your" repository, and/or push back their
changes without manual interference.

Also: you can commit / branch etc to your own repo as much as you like,
and you only need to merge/push your stuff to the "main" repo (if there
is one) once you're ready with that branch.

> This is a start but is svn orientated, but any other pointers
> appreciated preferably without svn and only using git.

You may want to check out the documentation on github.com: it has lots
of practical day-to-day tips:

http://github.com/guides/home