Re: Emacs backspace and delete.

From: TheFlyingDutchman
Subject: Re: Emacs backspace and delete.
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:21:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 23, 9:18 am, DaLoverhino <DaLoveRh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> If I type
>
> unix> emacs
>
> An emacs window pops up.  I'm on version 22, on windows running
> exceed.  The backspace key works as I would expect.
>
> But when I type:
>
> unix> emacs -nw
>
> emacs fires up in an exceed xterm, however the backspace key no longer
> works as it did.  The delete key does it's job.  Since my backspace
> key is a much bigger key, I'd like to be able to have it work.  Does
> anyone know how to do so?

What does Emacs think the Backspace key is? (hitting "ctrl-h k
Backspace" will show it).
When I use "emacs -nw" the Backspace key becomes control-h.
Adding

(global-set-key "\C-h"  'backward-delete-char-untabify)

to the .emacs file makes the backspace key work as desired but then
the normal definition of control-h to start help is lost.
(help is still available with "M-x help" or you could define another
key to start help).
If your backspace key is appearing as something else besides control-h
you can put that in the (global-set-key ...) function instead of "\C-
h".