can't remove CVS backup file

From: f0g
Subject: can't remove CVS backup file
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:21:03 -0700 (PDT)

my emacs version is 22.1.1, and I have both 'make-backup-files' and
'vc-make-backup-file' to nil ( I checked with 'C-h v' ), but when I
checkout a file and make changes to it, emacs always generate a backup
file, such as foo.~1.1.~
I also tried remove all the settings in my .emacs and change emacs to
version 23, but all failed to fix this issue. It's boring me for a
long time, any idea will be appreciated.