How to make "C-x 4" command work better for widescreen monitor

From: Pony
Subject: How to make "C-x 4" command work better for widescreen monitor
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:59:02 -0700 (PDT)

When we run the command "C-x 4 f", which will open a new file in a new
buffer under the current one,
the Emacs will cut the whole window into two vertical ones, each takes
50% space of the screen.

However at present more and more people begin to use widescreen tft
monitor for programming,
in my opinion it will be much better that, after we run "C-x 4"
commands the Emacs cut the whole screen into two HORIZONTALL screens.

Of course, people could open a new file first with "C-x 4 f" command,
and close it, and run "C-x 3" command to cut the whole screen
horizontally and show it in the second window. But it takes some
operations, which will be happened frequently when programming.

Is there a fast and direct way to make all the "C-x 4" commands
default cut the window HORIZONTALLY, or not?
Especially when you're compiling, make the compiling result show in
the window right to the code window!!

Hope for your answers.