Re: Embedding external application in emacs (or using emacs to control e

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: Embedding external application in emacs (or using emacs to control exeternal application)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:19:17 +0100

    >> I don't think your first scenario is possible, but here I'm way out of my
    >> depth. Just guessing because I don't know of any other "embedded" app.
    Corey> What modifications to Emacs would be necessary to make it possible?
    Corey> (I'm guessing this would have to be done in C.)

Uh oh, big ones, I guess ;-)

The (upcoming?) Emacs 23 supports the XEmbed specification. I'm quoting from the
"News file:

      "You can embed Emacs in another application on X11.  The new command line
      option --parent-id is used to pass the parent window id to Emacs.  See
      http://standards.freedesktop.org/xembed-spec/xembed-spec-latest.html for
      details about XEmbed."

But I don't think that this implies the other way round, the case that you want.

This is out of my league, maybe you should post this on the developer mailing
list.

Toto

PS: Please don't eMail me your postings. I have a lot and important work to do,
    therefore checking my news on a 5 minute basis ;-)

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www.withouthat.org/~toto/contact.html

If two or three people stop smoking as a result of anything I
have ever written then the one of them who would have got cancer
will live and all my scribblings will have been worthwhile.

Ivan Noble, 1967-2005

The closing words of his final column, "Tumour diary".