RE: Opening file with is in killring

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Opening file with is in killring
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:16:05 -0700

> Drew> If a relative file name (e.g. `foo.el') is in the kill ring, then
> Drew> I know of nothing quicker than clearing the minibuffer and then
> Drew> yanking.
>
> But in such a case, it would try to expand the relative file name from
> default-directory, which is precisely the one printed by
> default in the prompt, isn't it ?  In this case, why remove the
> default prompt ? Just yanking after should yield to the same result
> with fewer keystrokes.

Yes. If you want a different directory (which is presumably why one would clear
the minibuffer), then you need to insert (type or yank) that directory, in
addition to the relative file name.

I interpreted the OP as wanting to replace the default directory, to use a
different one, since he said "delete the current path". But from his reply
that's apparently not the case. (?)