RE: Opening files from a command

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Opening files from a command
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 14:07:09 -0700

> Sometimes I like to edit files based on a certain criterium. I use for
> example a grep command. I use this from a shell in Emacs. (I have to
> work with kshell, which does not have tab-expansion. This is why I am
> working from a shell in Emacs.) At this moment I am putting those
> filenames one by one in the kill-ring and open them. But is there a
> better way?
>
> Offcourse I could do:
>     emacs `grep ...` &
> but this opens an new Emacs session. I would prefer not to open a new
> session.

Sorry, but I don't understand you. I'm sure someone else does and will give you
a good answer.

It sounds like you're saying that you have Emacs open, and you use `grep'
outside Emacs (or in an Emacs shell buffer), and you then add the names of
grepped files that you want to edit to the kill ring, and you then paste those
names from the kill ring to, e.g., C-x C-f in order to open the files. Is that
right?

It's probably not what you mean, but if it is, then my answer would be to use
the _Emacs_ command `grep': `M-x grep'. See the Emacs manual, node `Grep
Searching'. Unless you have a very special need that doesn't match what Emacs
`grep' gives you, you'll appreciate using it, and you'll never go back.