Re: some vi equivalents please?

From: rustom
Subject: Re: some vi equivalents please?
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 23:19:00 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 2, 9:12 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Again, please read up a bit on formatting. It's not a big deal.
>
> And questions/problems about the wiki itself are best brought up there, not
> here. You can pose questions and comments directly on the pertinent pages
> (e.g.
> ViEmacsTable), and there is a Problems link at the top and bottom of each
> page,
> for general wiki problems.
>
> It takes a little time to get to know the wiki, but it doesn't get any easier
> than this. ;-)

Well Ok. Ive added somethings there and corrected some omissions.

But there is one thing which is more appropriate here (I think)
When I put n!!sort to sort the next n lines I was putting that merely
as an example of a 2-way pipe.
ie a command that takes its input from a bunch of vi lines and whose
output goes in as a replacement.

Of course its good to know about sort-lines but that is hardly
general.
One could want sort|uniq
or sort|uniq|pr
with all kinds of unixy command-line args peppered in -- a unix-shell
programmer never ceases to find new pipelines that he never had
imagined before.

Also Xah mentioned that flush-lines is obsolete compared to delete-
matching-lines. Since Im hearing of both for the first time I'll leave
it to others to decide which is the recommended name.
Frankly flush makes me think of fflush in C (or something less
mentionable)