Re: emacs-w3m question

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: emacs-w3m question
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 13:36:01 +0100

Dear Xavier,

Xavier> What's more, directional keys are one of the dumbest addition
Xavier> one could have thought off (in my opinion). The same apply for
Xavier> numerical keypad: what are they useful for exactly ? Is it that
Xavier> hard to press shift+& (for the azerty keyboard) to get a 1 ? Or
Xavier> press C-b to move point left ? I do not think so.

Xavier> The real reason that comes to mind is lazyness. People do not
Xavier> want to (take time to) learn how to do things, they want to go
Xavier> fast (even if they go fast wrongly). Keyboard (or typing more
Xavier> generally) is just an example, there are so many other applying
Xavier> here...

This sounds sooo much like overstated elitism. You may prefer to use C-b
and C-f and S-&, because you're so good and so l33t, this will never
change the point : beginners don't, period. Default settings must help
those people, who have not yet set their .emacs, to use and try the
software and see if they like it or not.

--
  Paul