Re: How to edit crontab using emacs over ssh

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: How to edit crontab using emacs over ssh
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 03:03:58 +0100

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <mailman.2926.1225894506.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>  Ruohao Li <mouse.emacs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm in shell mode, logged in on another machine over ssh, and I want to
>> do some 'crontab -e' editing on that machine. But that will bring up a
>> new editor, which is whatever you set in your EDITOR env variable, and
>> both vi and emacs cannot be used in this dumb shell. How can I edit the
>> crontab in my emacs session?
>
> Set EDITOR on the remove system to a line editor instead of a visual
> editor, e.g. ed or ex.

create the crontab on the remote machine, open it using tramp from your
machine, edit and save and then reinstall it. That or simply enable x
forwarding so running emacs on the remote bring up emacs gtk/x on your
main machine editing your cron file on the remote.

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the
satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation