Re: 2 ways to paste

From: Xah
Subject: Re: 2 ways to paste
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 08:18:59 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 6, 7:38 am, tomer <tomer1le...@walla.co.il> wrote:
> here his the scenario ( timed order):
> 1) i mark region A
> 2) i copy (alt+w) region B
>
> now i want the have the possiblity to yank region A and region B each
> with different command.
>
> is it possible?
>
> in other words , Is it possible to have 2 different indepenable
> mechanism for
> 1) copy yank marking block (with mark and set).
> 2) copy yank block that was copied to clipboard by alt+w.
>
> hope my question is cleared

(^_^) but am quite confused.

You want 2 independent clipboards, so that you can have different
texts in each, is that it?

If so, you can use emacs's so-called register.

See this tips page:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_esoteric.html

excerpt:

Q: I have a set of different texts i want to paste frequently. Is
there a way to use like multiple clipboards?

Yes. Select the region, then type “Ctrl+x r s” (or “Alt+x copy-to-
register”), give it a name such as 1. To paste it, type “Ctrl+x r
i” (or “Alt+x insert-register”).

If your text is frequently needed long term, such as a XML template or
signature, you can define a function and bind it to a key, so that it
inserts the string when you press a button. Here's a example:

(defun insert-p ()
  "insert <p></p> at cursor point."
  (interactive)
  (insert "<p></p>")
  (backward-char 4))

(global-set-key (kbd "<f8>") 'insert-p)

Put the above in your “.emacs”.

-----------------------

btw, your use of jargons is fairly confused.

Either use modern terms or stick with emacs's, throughout. Here's
simple table:

Modern                 Emacs
-----------------------------------
copy               kill-ring-save
cut                kill
paste              yank
clipboard          kill-ring
text selection     region
window             frame (sometimes “window” as in split-window-
vertically)
frame/pane         window
left button        mouse-1
mid button         mouse-2
right button       mouse-3

when you “mark”, you set a boundary to region. You don't “mark a
region”.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/