Re: Help me with adding emacs features.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Help me with adding emacs features.
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:45:30 +0100

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 09:32, Alexander M <alex334599@gmail.com> wrote:

> The first function I would like to implement in emacs is that it should
> display some kind of marker on every n:th line.
> This functions purpose is to help me remember where page-breaks would
> occur when printing.

You can use linum.el to add line numbers, and by customizing
linum-before-numbering-hook and linum-format you can make it to show
certain lines in a different way. If you've got Emacs from the CVS
repository, you already have linum.el; otherwise, check

  http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0225855/linum/linum.html

> The second function I would like to have is a sort of vertical marker at
> the n:th column to show me where line-breaks would occur when printing.

There are several libraries which can help you do that
(colum-marker.el, col-highlight.el, vline.el, etc.). Take a look at

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighlightCurrentColumn

  Juanma