Grouping related buffers

From: Corey Foote
Subject: Grouping related buffers
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:21:18 -0500

Hi everybody,

As you probably already know, modern window managers support virtual desktops, which extend the workspace to multiple desktop areas. This allows users to spread the windows they have open across multiple workspaces, as an alternative to crowding them all on to one screen. I find this helpful because I work on multiple projects at a time, and having multiple desktops allows me to group the windows for each project together in separate desktops.

I was wondering if there was a way to group related buffers in Emacs through the use of, say, multiple buffer workspaces. For example, it would be nice if when I display a list of existing buffers by typing C-x C-b it would be possible to group the buffers in the list, and when I called C-x b only the buffers in the current grouping would be available. (To get at the others it would be necessary to change the current buffer workspace.)

Thanks!

Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster. Sign up today.