Re: puzzled with load-path entries - where do they come from when .emacs

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: puzzled with load-path entries - where do they come from when .emacs is empty?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:45:21 -0700

Mirko wrote:
I found site-lisp/site-start.d with auctex.el and preview-latex.el.
That explains the auctex message during startup.  But still no clue as
to where load-path gets preloaded.

Actually, could it be that emacs populates load-path automatically
based on the contents of the site-lisp directory?  That would explain
everything.

See the "Startup Summary" node of the Emacs Lisp manual:

| The order of operations performed (in `startup.el') by Emacs when it is
| started up is as follows:
|
|   1. It adds subdirectories to `load-path', by running the file named
|     `subdirs.el' in each directory in the list.  Normally this file
|      adds the directory's subdirectories to the list, and these will be
|      scanned in their turn.  The files `subdirs.el' are normally
|      generated automatically by Emacs installation.

To see how load-path is initialized while building Emacs, see the
Makefile (itself generated from Makefile.in by configure):

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA