Re: What is the best way to get emacs23?

From: Brian Adkins
Subject: Re: What is the best way to get emacs23?
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 02:22:52 -0500

ross@rosslaird.info (Ross A. Laird) writes:

> I'm on Ubuntu, but I recall a similar problem. Try this:
>
> In ~/.Xresources, put this:
>
> Emacs.font: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-10
> Emacs.FontBackend: xft

The blog article I posted earlier mentioned the first of the above two
lines, but the poster in question said he "did all that". I'm not sure
the second line is required. Maybe the --enable-font-backend flag to
./configure takes care of it?

Also, I believe you can test things w/o editing ~/.Xresources via the
following (also in the article):

emacs -r -fn "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-10"

If you don't like reverse video, don't include the -r param.

> Restart X, and see what happens.

You can also use the following to avoid restarting X:

xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

--
Brian Adkins
http://www.lojic.com/