Re: Emacs command frequencies:

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs command frequencies:
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:59:53 -0600

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:52:23 +0100 Sébastien Vauban
<zthjwsqqafhv@spammotel.com> wrote:

SV> Hello,
>> - Commands that are repeated frequently should have the
>> highest priority for one-button keys. That's why I
>> personally think save-buffer and kill-this-buffer would be a
>> waste for single keys. On the other hand other-window has a
>> terrible default for the same reason.

SV> I totally share your point of view. And, as well, the list of
SV> most frequently used functions that have really annoying
SV> bindings.

SV> In my case -- OK, I know it is normally prohibited to use F1 to
SV> F4 --, I've done the following mappings:

SV>  <f1> = info
SV>  <f2> = save-buffer
SV>  <f3> = open-file (or `ffap', or even `anything', if present)
SV>  <f5> = delete-other-windows
SV>  <f6> = other-window
SV>  <f8> = call-last-kbd-macro
SV>  <f9> = recompile
SV>  <f10> = next-error
SV>  <f11> = undo
SV>  <f12> = my-kill-this-buffer

My bindings are (all on the keypad):

/ and * = previous-error and next-error (for navigating Occur, compilation,
grep, etc. buffers)
- and + = previous buffer and next buffer
Enter   = `anything' command to find a file
Del     = other-window
Ins     = ffap

In addition, my window manager (StumpWM) uses the number keys:

4 and 6 = previous/next frame
8 abd 2 = previous/next workspace
5       = switch to last frame

Also, with my G15 keyboard, I have bound the G1..G9 keys to go to my 9
workspaces.

This is much more comfortable than reaching for the F keys, and it makes
the keypad my navigation center.  I leave less frequent commands to the
F keys: compile, vc stuff, indent region...

Ted