Re: emacs mode line suggestions

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: emacs mode line suggestions
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:37:49 +0100

Ian> It's equally confusing. If you want to improve things, great, but
Ian> replacing one crappy behavior with a different crappy behavior is
Ian> a waste.

Yes, that's right, but still, current behaviour is clearly confusing and
suboptimal. Maybe buffers lack a :user or a :system flag that would be
set automatically or by the producer, independently of setting the name
to something matching the regexp \*.*\*. I think this is what Xah meant
and I agree with this point.

The effort could be joined with the one mentionned on emacs devel few
months ago to give emacs enought facilities to propose "workspaces". In
a workspace, the layout of the window is preserved and the list of
proposed buffers for switching is restricted only to those relevants to
the work being done in the workspace. We can imagine the compilation
workspace, the jabber workspace, the mail workspace, the system
monitoring workspace and so on.

Finally, I also think that not turning on something like ido or iswitchb
by default is a terrible default usability choice, and I hope it is
still time for core developpers to think about it again.

--
  Paul