Re: emacs mode line suggestions

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: emacs mode line suggestions
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:37:33 +0000

Hi, Paul!

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 09:37:49AM +0100, Paul R wrote:

> Finally, I also think that not turning on something like ido or
> iswitchb by default is a terrible default usability choice, and I hope
> it is still time for core developpers to think about it again.

There's a good reason.  Emacs's philosophy is not to get in your way.
Having to disable "helpful" features to get a comfortable working system
is far, far worse than having to enable them.  (Think of having to turn
of Microsoft's "helpful" dancing paper clip, or their habit of insisting
the first word of a sentence must be capitalised.  AAARGGHHH!!!)

There are lots of ways of switching buffers, none objectively the best.
You've assumed the axiom of choice in your paragraph above; namely that
there is some way of choosing a "best" way for each of the uncountably
infinite options in Emacs.  You give yourself away with the words
"something like".  ;-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).