Re: emacs mode line suggestions

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: emacs mode line suggestions
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:46:05 +0000

Hi, Eli!

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 10:39:57PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Xah <xahlee@gmail.com>
> > Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:17:44 -0800 (PST)

Not by me.

> > > Please provide some use-cases to back this up.  FWIW, I almost
> > > never switch the major mode in the same buffer, unless Emacs didn't
> > > switch into the right one to begin with, and even then I only do
> > > that once in a given buffer.

> > those who use *scratch*, or create new buffer, or create new file...
> > he may need to switch to the righ lang mode.

> Usually, creating a new file with C-x C-f already switches on the right
> mode.  And even if Emacs somehow gets this wrong, it's a one-time event
> for that buffer.

However, if I create a new buffer with C-x C-b foo.c, it starts in
Fundamental Mode, not C Mode.  Is there a good reason for this, or did it
just happen?  It irritates me quite a bit, but not quite enough to bring
me to fixing it.  ;-)

> > Sometimes when such buffer is used as a scratch, programer may have
> > more than one lang inserted into it, and may switch to different mode
> > for the right syntax coloring.

> Is this frequent usage?  I never use Emacs like that, but that's me.

"Here documents" inside shell scripts bug me, but I never change modes to
get them to fontify and indent right.  It would be great to have a solid
"multiple mode" working (hi, Lennart!).

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).