Re: Byte-compiled elisp libraries on different platforms

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Byte-compiled elisp libraries on different platforms
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:08:25 +0100

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 18:19, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> I don't agree about the last part. I have come across things that do not work
> in
> Emacs 23 if byte-compiled with Emacs 22 (and vice versa).

I was talking only about 22 -> 23, not the other way around.

And of course you can have code that does fail, in subtle or not so
subtle ways. If it does not satisfy the expectations of 23.X
(functions with different parameter profiles, macros whose semantics
has changed, whatever), for example. The only real way to have 100%
compatibility is compiling the .el files with the Emacs release you're
going to use them.

That said, most of the time .elc files generated with 22.X work fine
with 23.X Emacs.

> In general, I believe, Emacs has always been platform-independent wrt
> byte-compiled code,

Yes. But as stated above, whether a .elc file from one Emacs works in
another Emacs is not (just) about byte-code. Of course byte-code must
be compatible, or you're liable to crash Emacs.

             Juanma