Re: Sorting buffers with ibuffer

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Sorting buffers with ibuffer
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 03:39:41 +0100

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 19:36, z0d <peter.barabas@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm trying to sort my buffers by major-mode with ibuffer, but it seems
>> like it doesn't work.
>
> Sorry, I forget to mention that I'm using CVS Emacs, updated today.

Could you show us  an example?

In a recently started Emacs, with several buffers loaded through
desktop.el, doing

 M-: (setq-default ibuffer-default-sorting-mode 'major-mode) <RET>
 M-x ibuffer <RET>

produces:

 MR Name                    Size Mode             Filename/Process
 -- ----                    ---- ----             ----------------
[ Default ]
    emacsclient.c          39732 C/lah            c:/emacs/lib-src/emacsclient.c
    misc/ChangeLog        169122 Change Log       c:/emacs/doc/misc/ChangeLog
    lisp/ChangeLog        595040 Change Log       c:/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog
    bs.el                  56668 Emacs-Lisp       c:/emacs/lisp/bs.el
    server.el              52641 Emacs-Lisp       c:/emacs/lisp/server.el
  % init.el                79607 Emacs-Lisp       ~/.emacs.d/init.el
 *  *Messages*               372 Fundamental
  % *server*                   0 Fundamental
  % *info*                280500 Info
    *scratch*                  0 Lisp Interaction

which is correctly sorted by major-mode

             Juanma