Re: Emacs standards with regions

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Emacs standards with regions
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 23:55:09 +0000

'Evening, Xah!

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:47:17PM -0800, Xah Lee wrote:
> On Nov 25, 12:31 pm, Teemu Likonen <tliko...@iki.fi> wrote:
> > Xah Lee (2008-11-24 10:15 -0800) wrote:

> > > if cua mode is on by default in emacs 23,

> > It's not.

> my memory went faulty.

> Alan Mackenzie said that the transient-mark-mode is now on by default.

Indeed I did.  When that item was being debated in emacs-devel, I argued
vigorously against it (as you can probably imagine).  Yet one more reason
why we all need a .emacs.

> the other majorish change i know of is that arrow up/down now moves by
> visual line.

An improvement.

> i do hope that cua'd be on ...

Set it in your .emacs.

> ... maybe i should try to grab the emacs source... but then it's all
> the pain of compilation and problems and spending hours tech
> geeking ... EEEEE!

Compilation, the first time round, is relatively painless.  But, come on,
Xah, you're an accomplished hack^H^H^H^H tech geeker, fully acquainted
with all popular OS's, especially the nice Unix-like ones.  ;-)  Just go
to http://savannah.gnu.org/, click on the pertinent links (you have got a
mouse, haven't you?), download Emacs-23 CVS, and build it.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).