Difference between (setq fill-column 79) and (setq-default fill-column

From: address@hidden
Subject: Difference between (setq fill-column 79) and (setq-default fill-column 79) ??
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 09:30:57 -0800 (PST)

What is the difference between (setq fill-column 79) and (setq-default
fill-column 79)??

I'd like this value to be used everywhere.

How come many other variables work fine if I just use setq???

It seems this variable needs setq-default.

Is it because most variables are global whereas fill-column is always
local?
(I read that but not sure what it means.)

Chris