emacs process-environment under gnome

From: phorminx
Subject: emacs process-environment under gnome
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 17:50:08 +0100

When I start emacs under gnome using gnome's application menu, the emacs
process is started by root (ppid 1). I find this very confusing. Why is this
so? For me, the main problem is that this way emacs (the variable
process-environment) doesn't know anything about the environment variables I
like to use (which are defined in my .bashrc).

As you might guess I am new to gnome (but I've used emacs for some time). What
are other people doing? Start emacs via a shell script?

Thank you!