Re: emacs process-environment under gnome

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: emacs process-environment under gnome
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 20:36:19 -0500

In article <mailman.1517.1227988702.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 phorminx@web.de wrote:

> When I start emacs under gnome using gnome's application menu, the emacs
> process is started by root (ppid 1). I find this very confusing. Why is this

It's not started by pid 1.  Gnome forks a child process, and this
process forks a grandchild process to execute emacs.  The child process
exits immediately after, so that Gnome doesn't have to wait for it.
Whenever a process's parent exits, the ppid becomes 1.

> so? For me, the main problem is that this way emacs (the variable
> process-environment) doesn't know anything about the environment variables I
> like to use (which are defined in my .bashrc).

I think you need to put "source .bashrc" in your .xinitrc.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA