Re: Gnuserv vs Emacsserver

From: Magnus Berg
Subject: Re: Gnuserv vs Emacsserver
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:46:47 +0100

>/ Hi!/
>
>/ I'm little confused about the possibilities with Emacsserver in Emacs
> 23/
>/ (cvs). I had used Gnuserv before because it makes it possible to open
> new/
>/ buffers/files, from the filemanager etc, in the initial frame (whith/
>/ dtemacs).  I don't want to have my screen cluttered with frames./
>/ Now I wonder if it's possible to do the same with Emacs 23:s
> Emacsserver or/
>/ if I should continue to use Gnuserver for that. If it's possible
> with/
>/ Emacsserver, can you tell me how./

Maybe you can find your answer here:

 http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsClient

No, there was nothing about opening new buffers/files in the initial
frame.

Sorry, you are right. Look at the option server-window in Emacs. (I am
surprised it is not mentioned.) Does that help you?

No! :-) I have read quite a lot about emacsserver. (I got the "GNU Emacs
manual" as a book and it covers version 22) I have searched and looked up
the options but I don't get a grip of it. I found a option for emacsserver
there I can set the variable "server-window" to a window or a frame. And it
is by default set to "Use selected window" and it is possible to chose
"Display in new frame", "Use pop-to-buffer" and "Other function". I suppose
the last alternative could include some smart setting for the ones who knows
lisp or what to do. But I don't.

But I'm not sitting here crying :-) I installed Gnuserv and it does what I
want. But it should be fun to now how to do it without extra lisp packages,
if it is possible with the included emacsserver.

Thanks for your interest in my question Lennart!

But can you then please explain what you want to do then? I thought
you wanted to open a file in a specific Emacs frame. Is not that what
you want to do?

Yes!
But the defult "Use selected window" in the the variable "server-window" doesn't, even if it maybe should. And I had the argument (server-start) in my .emacs As I understand it that should run Emacs as Emacsserver. And I choose to open new files, from the filemanager with the application/command emacsclient. But all opened files creates a new frame.