Re: removing menubar and window frame

From: tyler
Subject: Re: removing menubar and window frame
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 09:19:37 -0400

"Chengqi(Lars) Song" <songcq@gmail.com> writes:

> To maximize the space for editing area, I want to hide manubar and the
> window-frame, but sometimes I need them so I also want to assign a
> hotkey to toggle them. Could you give any suggestion? Thank you.

My .emacs includes

(menu-bar-mode -1)

which leaves the menu-bar hidden by default. Rather than have it pop up
again when I want to see it, I use 'M-`' (i.e., meta and backtick
pressed together). This provides a quick and temporary text-version of
the menu-bar which has the benefit of not requiring a mouse to use.

> By the way, by "window-frame", I mean the outer frame of the window with
> the window title, maximze/minimize/close buttons.

This is beyond the realm of emacs I think, and requires a suitable
window manager. I use fluxbox, which provides a mechanism for toggling
the window decorations through the config files. I have the following in
my ~/.fluxbox/keys file:

Mod4 d :ToggleDecor

The result is that pressing Super-d toggles the max/min/close and title
bar on and off. Maybe Gnome and KDE have similar options, I don't know.

Cheers,

Tyler

                                       --Mark Twain