RE: Temporarily disabling mouse avoidance mode automatically

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Temporarily disabling mouse avoidance mode automatically
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:31:25 -0800

> Mouse avoidance mode keeps the mouse pointer away from the point
> to avoid obscuring text. I find this helpful when using just the
> keyboard, but annoying when I'm using the keyboard and mouse in
> conjunction. I'm looking for a way to have mouse avoidance mode
> temporarily disabled automatically if the mouse has been used
> recently, say within the last ten seconds. Otherwise mouse avoidance
> mode will be enabled. This will save me from having to manually
> disable mouse avoidance mode when using the keyboard and mouse in
> conjunction and then having to manually re-enable it when finished.

Sorry, I don't have a ready solution for you. Perhaps look at the code in
avoid.el and fiddle with some timers and states.

But you made me think. It would be nice if Emacs could (optionally) do what some
apps do: Hide the mouse pointer completely, until you move the mouse. That way,
the pointer would not simply be moved away when you use mainly the keyboard; it
would disappear altogether. You would be able to have an on-demand mouse.

That would be a good mode value to add to `mouse-avoidance-mode': `vanish'.