Re: Temporarily disabling mouse avoidance mode automatically

From: Bill White
Subject: Re: Temporarily disabling mouse avoidance mode automatically
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 18:03:57 -0600

On Wed Dec 03 2008 at 11:31, "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> But you made me think. It would be nice if Emacs could (optionally) do
> what some apps do: Hide the mouse pointer completely, until you move
> the mouse. That way, the pointer would not simply be moved away when
> you use mainly the keyboard; it would disappear altogether. You would
> be able to have an on-demand mouse.
>
> That would be a good mode value to add to `mouse-avoidance-mode': `vanish'.

I'd *love* to have something like that!  Now that I think of it, I never
use the mouse in emacs.  It often proves a distraction by inadvertently
highlighting previous shell inputs or sitting atop something that vomits
up a tooltip (or the tooltip's quieter but still annoying companion,
flashing echo area text).

VLC media player automatically hides the cursor a moment after it
stops moving.

Cheers -

bw, eagerly awaiting Drew's rat poison
--