properties in recursive mode-lines - what am I doing wrong?

From: Joost Diepenmaat
Subject: properties in recursive mode-lines - what am I doing wrong?
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 17:32:36 +0100

I just can't get properties to work on "indirect" modelines. I want to
add a modeline string to global-mode-string, using a symbol (like
display-time-mode does), but it seems I'm doing it wrong.

Example code:

;; a simple modeline string with properties

(setq my-test (propertize "a bold modeline string" 'help-echo
                          "a helptext" 'face 'bold))

;; this shows the help text property and bold text

(setq global-mode-string
      my-test)

;; but neither of the following constructs seem to do the same

(setq global-mode-string
      'my-test)

(setq global-mode-string
      '("" my-test))

I'm running today's emacs CVS (tested both with today's version and one
from early august)

Any help would be appreciated,
Joost.