Re: How delete Dired buffer automatically when select a file in Dired?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How delete Dired buffer automatically when select a file in Dired?
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 16:00:56 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 8, 11:04 am, "seber...@spawar.navy.mil"
<seber...@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
> When I select a file in Dired, it opens in a new buffer.
>
> The old Dired buffer still exists.
>
> How automatically delete the Dired buffer when I open a new buffer
> with a new file from Dired?

in dired, you can use the shortcut “a” (which invokes dired-find-
alternate-file).

Or, you can use this code:

(put 'dired-find-alternate-file 'disabled nil)

(add-hook 'dired-mode-hook
 (lambda ()
  (define-key dired-mode-map (kbd "<return>")
    'dired-find-alternate-file) ; was dired-advertised-find-file
  (define-key dired-mode-map (kbd "^")
    (lambda () (interactive) (find-alternate-file "..")))
  ; was dired-up-directory
 ))

you might make it 'enabled ... i don't recall since i stopped using
the above.

I hope emacs developers makes the above into a dired preference
setting.

Your question is a recurring question. For some other dired faq, see
bottom:

• File Management with Emacs
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/file_management.html

  Xah